Saturday, March 26, 2011

Vaio Z11 сrash after RAM upgrade

Hi Guys!



I just upgraded my Vaio Z11 RAM from 4gb to 8gb, by adding Corsair 4gb card. I usually use laptop switched to "Speed". Аfter the upgrade my laptop started to crash every 10-15 minutes. at the moment of crash I have black screen, complete freeze and the graphic LED is switched to "Stamina". The only possible way to restart is to press and hold green button. Is it a problem with new memory card or with graphic drivers? What can you advise?



thanks!

Reply 1 : Vaio Z11 сrash after RAM upgrade


Quote:








Originally Posted by dmikim
View Post

Hi Guys!



I just upgraded my Vaio Z11 RAM from 4gb to 8gb, by adding Corsair 4gb card. I usually use laptop switched to "Speed". Аfter the upgrade my laptop started to crash every 10-15 minutes. at the moment of crash I have black screen, complete freeze and the graphic LED is switched to "Stamina". The only possible way to restart is to press and hold green button. Is it a problem with new memory card or with graphic drivers? What can you advise?



thanks!



Easy, remove the RAM and see if your laptop is working again. Also, may I ask the model of RAM (link to a product page is sufficient)

Reply 2 : Vaio Z11 сrash after RAM upgrade

Hi!



thanks for reply!



After I remove the card everything works good as before. here is the link to the card: Amazon.com: Corsair Memory CM3X4GSD1066 4 GB PC3-8500 1066Mhz 204-pin DDR3 Laptop Memory: Electronics



I already informed Amazon about return, but I need to know if I need an exchange or better buy another card? Or maybe the reason is not in the card itself.

Reply 3 : Vaio Z11 сrash after RAM upgrade

As far as i can tell, that card should work on your Z. It is unbuffered 1066 MHz running at CL 7 (7-7-7-20). Since you got a Z11, you're probably running a Samsung chip at 1333 MHz at CL 9 (9-9-9-20) like me which scales down to 7-7-7-20 @ 1066Mhz.



Maybe try it again? If the chip is bad it shouldn't even boot right? (someone check me on this). Maybe you didn't seat it properly the first time? Also, even though the Samsung chip at 1333 MHz CL9 scales down itself to 1066MHz CL7, is it smart to use a chip that is 1066MHz CL7 right from the get-go?



In any case, i'm using this chip from SuperBiiz.com:



W1333SB4GV Super Talent DDR3-1333 SODIMM 4GB Notebook Memory - DDR3 SODIMM 200 Pin - SuperBiiz.com



I'd wait til they have a coupon so you can get it for even cheaper, they got coupons pretty much constantly (today's probably right after the end of one). In any case, it's slightly cheaper than the one on amazon and rated at 1333MHz (although superbiiz charges me tax and amazon doesnt).

Reply 4 : Vaio Z11 сrash after RAM upgrade

thank you!

Reply 5 : Vaio Z11 сrash after RAM upgrade

No problem, hope it all works out

No comments:

Post a Comment