Wednesday, March 16, 2011

G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

Hey all, long time lurker, first post here.



It's getting to be time for me to break down and pick up a new laptop.



I am currently using a Gateway 6831 FX that I upgraded to a C2Duo T7700 2.4ghz with two 150 gig 7200 RPM drives running in raid 0. I've had this machine for 3 years and it still runs most things with the 8800 GTS M, but it's not all that anymore.



I was looking at the new Asus G73SW-BST8 that they have listed at Best Buy and the specs are impressive for the price.



I am wondering if this model has bluetooth built in. It is not listed on the spec sheet from Best Buy. On the previous model (BST7) it was listed as No.



Does anyone here have any info on this yet? I would miss the bluetooth, because my Gateway has it built in, but I suppose it's not a deal breaker.



Unfortunately I have called around to a few Best Buy stores and they are telling me this won't be an item carried in stock, in store you will have to order it online and as of now it's back ordered.



Any info would be appreciated.



http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...=G73&cp=1&lp=5

Reply 1 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

Thinking of getting this one too and hopefully they wont jack up the price... Not really a deal breaker for me if it doesnt include bluetooth.

Reply 2 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

I can't give you a definitive answer, but my gut guess would be no bluetooth native in the BST8. For whatever reason, some of the Best Buy models end up having that feature dropped...perhaps for cost savings.



It's not a big deal to add a mini-USB bluetooth adapter for $40 or so if you need/want it. That's what I did with the G73 I had and it worked fine with my Razor Orochi.



Edit: Here's a new one that Best Buy has for a mere $16:



IOGEAR - Bluetooth USB 2.0 Micro Adapter - GBU421



Or the Rocketfish (*shudder*) branded one that I had that actually worked quite well:



http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...pter&cp=1&lp=4

Reply 3 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

Internal Bluetooth is better for a cleaner base look laptop than inserting external usb bt.

Reply 4 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

Not debating that point...just saying there are options.

Reply 5 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

Does this lappy have Optimus(switchable graphics)?

Reply 6 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

Nope, at least from what I've read, it does not. :<

Reply 7 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.


Quote:








Originally Posted by dkillone
View Post

Nope, at least from what I've read, it does not. :<



Dang. That's depressing. Such a sleek lappy, and only missing 1 feature that I wanted most

Reply 8 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

Cisco USB Bluetooth dongles cost about 8 bucks.

Reply 9 : G73SW-BST8 From Best Buy Questions.

Listed is 1TB HDD, is that 2x500 GB's or a 12.5mm 1TB 7200RPM, is there even one yet? Nice spec's with FHD compared to the reduced res they had before...............



Edit; never mind, even the Seagate Constelation 2 1TB 2.5 is a 15mm drive and pricey......

No comments:

Post a Comment